Hoxsie Elementary School was named in honor of Cottrell F. Hoxsie, a prominent Warwick agriculturist who lived in the late nineteenth century. In 1926, the first Hoxsie School was built on the location that presently houses the Warwick School Department Administration Building. In 1969, a new Hoxsie School was constructed on Glenwood Drive.
In 1998, an addition was added to this structure to include two new classrooms and the Hoxsie Kindergarten program. In 2006, a second addition was added to provide another two classrooms and a conference room. Today, Cottrell F. Hoxsie Elementary School educates children from Kindergarten through grade six in nineteen classrooms and enrolls approximately 325 students.
The mission of Hoxsie Elementary School is to provide, in partnership with parents and the community, a safe, secure, and nurturing educational environment that prepares students to meet the educational, social, emotional, and cognitive challenges of the future.